Residents First

Tower Hamlets People Network

PEABODY STARTS ILLEGAL DEMOLITION AT 24 UNDERWOOD ROAD
JMH_0562_2nd Nov
Despite a written assurance to Dr. Sharman Kadish that they would not start demolition before the public consultation on Monday 7 November, and without submitting a demolition notice to Tower Hamlets Council, Peabody’s contractors have started to demolish the oldest and most attractive of the two ‘cottages’. The entire roof and stepped gable have been removed and machines have started devouring the brick walls behind the scaffolded front walls.

 

It was obvious that Peabody was doing all in its power to stop any normal democratic ‘debate’ about keeping the two ‘cottages’. But their preemptive and deliberate destruction of the 1911 ‘cottage’ at 24 Underwood Road is an insult to the people of Tower Hamlets and to the memory of all the people associated with the former Jewish Maternity Hospital.

 

The 1911 ‘cottage’ has lasted 100 years and would have lasted another 100 years, but Peabody has chosen to destroy this attractive and unique little building in the very year of its onehundredth anniversary.

 

Clearly, Peabody intends by this appalling and illegal act of gross cultural vandalism to make sure that there will be little or no point in our trying to save the ‘cottages’ at their public consultation on Monday 7 November.

 

However, thanks to Mayor Rahman and Councillors from all four political groups, Owen Whalley wrote to Peabody on 3 November urging them to stop demolition. Peabody’s contractors have stopped work but will resume after Monday 7 November. They will not say when that will be but we suspect that it could be by the end of next week.

 

We must, therefore, fight on to save the ‘cottages’. Nearly six hundred people have now signed the online petition to keep the two ‘cottages’ and we will present this petition to Peabody on Monday 7 November at about 5.30 pm. Arrangements are also being made for us to present the petition to a full meeting of Tower Hamlets Council on 29 November 2011.

 

So, even after 7 November, please sign and encourage others to sign the petition for presentation to the Council on 29 November (www.residents-first.co.uk).

 

Our thanks to all those who have already signed the petition, especially Sir Arnold Wesker (born JMH 1932) and Councillors from all four political groups. Our thanks also to those who have written to Peabody, especially Dr. Sharman Kadish, Director of Jewish Heritage UK; the chairs of the East London History Society and the Jewish East End Celebration Society; Tower Hamlets Councillor Bill Turner, the Secretary of SAVE Britain’s Heritage; and Tower Hamlets Councillor Rabina Khan (Lead Member for Housing).

 

Please do your best to attend the consultation event at the Osmani Centre, Underwood Road, E1, on Monday 7 November from 3 pm to 7 pm to register your strong support for the retention and conversion of the ‘cottages’ at 22 & 24 Underwood Road:

  • as large family homes for rent, shared ownership or sale
  • as built evidence of the former Jewish Maternity Hospital (the only Jewish maternity hospital in England)
  • as a memorial to the pioneering achievements of Alice Model MBE
  • as a memorial to all the doctors and nurses who worked there and all the people born there between 1911 and ca. 1940.

 

TOM RIDGE
4 November 2011

November 4th, 2011

Posted In: Jewish Maternity Hospital, Uncategorized

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , ,

Leave a Comment

Dear Friends of Jewish Heritage,

 

Re: ‘Mother Levy’s: The former Jewish Maternity Hospital, 24-6 Underwood Road and Vallance Road, Whitechapel, London, E1

 

I am writing to ask you to support the campaign to stop the complete demolition of this site that dates from 1911 and was extended in 1927-8 by Jewish architect Ernest Joseph (designer of Shell Mex House on The Strand and of a number of synagogues). Opposition to the demolition was initiated and is being led by veteran campaigner Tom Ridge who lives in the East End.

 

Apparently, developers The Peabody Trust are already dismantling the building, contrary to a written assurance to me, thus preempting a proper debate at the Public Consultation scheduled for next Monday, 7th November. Their controversial housing proposals, designed by Angela Brady, the new President of the RIBA, will be on display at the Osmani Community Centre in Underwood Road from 3pm to 7pm next Monday. The project architects will be on hand to explain their scheme.

 

Please support my compromise proposal to save the two attractive cottages on Underwood Road and to have an English Heritage Blue Plaque affixed to the front of the building in commemoration of the work of the Home’s founder, the pioneering Jewish health worker Alice Model. Peabody would then be free to develop the rest of the site for affordable housing for local people in line with their own historic tradition in the East End.

 

Complete demolition would NOT, as claimed on Peabody’s website (21st October) achieve ‘a balance between the history of the site and the needs of the local community’.

 

Please support the campaign by:-

1. Signing the online Petition which can be found at http://residents-first.co.uk

More information is posted on this website including correspondence and Campaign Newsletters plus links to press coverage etc.

2, Attending the Public Consultation next Monday 7th November at the Osmani Community Hall 2, 58 Underwood Road, London, E1 from 3pm to 7pm

 

Unless there is strong opposition and plenty of publicity, the demolition is looking increasingly likely.

In anticipation, thank you for your support,

Dr Sharman Kadish

Director, Jewish Heritage UK

November 3rd, 2011

Posted In: Uncategorized

Leave a Comment

Proposed new build image

CAMPAIGN NEWSLETTER NO. 5

The above image from the Peabody website 20 October is an ‘artist’s representation’ of their proposed new development on the cleared site of the former Jewish Maternity Hospital.

 

It appears to show the north side of a six-storey block, which ‘will provide much needed affordable homes for local people while also commemorating a neglected piece of local history’.

 

The accompanying text states that, after the public consultation event on 7 November (see Campaign Newsletter No. 4), they will submit their planning application and demolish the existing buildings.

 

This suggests that their planning application will be for demolition of the existing buildings and the erection of a replacement building. And that the application for demolition and replacement will be granted planning permission after a public consultation and approval by a committee of councillors.

 

Peabody building

In fact, after the event on 7 November, Peabody are ‘proposing to begin demolition prior to the submission of the planning application‘ for their five- or six-storey replacement building (13 October letter from Peabody to Dr. Kadish).

 

Peabody can do this because they avoided the normal democratic process by applying for ‘prior notice of demolition’. They did this knowing that as an Environmental Impact Assessment (EIA) would not be required in this case, the proposed demolition would be what is called ‘permitted development’ and officers would simply have to give ‘prior approval of the method of demolition’.

 

The Council’s EIA officer issued a thorough Screening Opinion on 17 October, which concludes that an EIA was not required. But states that ‘The Council acknowledges that the buildings do represent a non-designated heritage asset in accordance with PPS5‘ (see second Open Letter to Owen Whalley October 12).

 

This was followed on 18 October by a delegated officer report, which concludes that prior approval is given subject to the demolition being carried out ‘in accordance with the submitted methodology’.

 

The report also mentions the receipt of 18 letters referring to the historical and townscape interest of the buildings. And requesting that the Local Planning Authority ‘should secure the retention of the existing buildings’.

 

TOWER HAMLETS HAS NOT GIVEN PEABODY PERMISSION TO DEMOLISH THE BUILDINGS: OFFICERS HAVE BEEN OBLIGED TO ACKNOWLEDGE THAT THE DEMOLITION AT 22-28 UNDERWOOD ROAD CONSTITUTES ‘PERMITTED DEVELOPMENT’ AND HAVE GIVEN ‘PRIOR APPROVAL OF THE METHOD OF DEMOLITION’.

PEABODY HAS STILL GOT TO SUBMIT A DEMOLITION NOTICE TO TOWER HAMLETS BUILDING CONTROL.

 

PEABODY COULD STILL DEMOLISH THE OTHER BUILDINGS AND LEAVE THE TWO ‘COTTAGES’ FOR CONVERSION TO FAMILY HOMES.

 

Please do your best to attend the Peabody consultation event at the Osmani Centre 7 November to demand the retention and conversion of the ‘cottages’ at 22 & 24 Underwood Road (see Campaign Newsletter No. 4 and latest Peabody web post.

 

TOM RIDGE

29 October 2011

Between now and 7 November, please sign and encourage others to sign the online petition and write to Peabody’s Chief Executive

October 30th, 2011

Posted In: Jewish Maternity Hospital, Uncategorized

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , ,

Leave a Comment

PEABODY CONSULTATION EVENT ON 7th NOVEMBER

Peabody article here

(Details received from Peabody via email 25 October 2011 09:27)

from Zoe.Moorhouse@peabody.org.uk

Proposed new build

to  “east.end.waterway.group@gmail.com”

25 October 2011 09:27

 

Dear Mr Ridge

22-28 Underwood Road, E1 – Consultation Event – Monday 7th November 3pm-7pm

Peabody are currently finalising plans for a residential housing development at 22-28 Underwood. On 25th July 2011 a meeting was held to discuss our initial proposals. Since that time our design has progressed. We would therefore like to invite you to a consultation event to view our latest proposals and raise any questions or concerns that you may have.

The event will be held at The Osmani CentreCommunity Hall 2, 58 Underwood Road, E1 onMonday 7th of November from 3pm to 7pm.  It will be a drop-in event so please come along for as little or as long as you want.  Plans and sketches of the proposals will be available for you to view, and staff from Peabody and the project architects will be on hand to explain the proposals.

Peabody is one of London’s leading housing providers, owning and managing approximately 19,000 homes in the capital.  We manage a range of tenures including social housing, shared ownership, leasehold, and key-worker housing.  Peabody is committed to building and developing good quality, environmentally sustainable, affordable homes that foster economic and social regeneration, and engaging with our residents and the community to provide support services that reflect their needs.

If you are unable to visit the exhibition we will also be providing the development proposal documents online at www.peabody.org.uk – you can then make your comments to us by telephone, email or post.

If you have any questions regarding the exhibition or the proposed development please contact me on 020 7021 4834 or by email at  zoe.moorhouse@peabody.org.uk.

Yours sincerely

Zoe Moorhouse

PLEASE DO YOUR BEST TO ATTEND THIS CONSULTATION EVENT AT THE OSMANI CENTRE (new building on the corner of Vallance Road
and Underwood Road – see map here).

DEMAND THE RETENTION AND CONVERSION OF THE ‘COTTAGES’ AT 22 & 24

Proposed replacement from Peabody

UNDERWOOD ROAD

  • as large family homes for rent, shared ownership or sale
  • as built evidence of the former Jewish Maternity Hospital (the only Jewish maternity hospital in England)
  • as a memorial to the pioneering achievements of Alice Model MBE
  • as a memorial to all the doctors and nurses who worked there and all the people born there between 1911 and ca. 1940.

REFUTE THE ENGLISH HERITAGE STATEMENT THAT THE FORMER HOSPITAL WAS
‘(not)’ a unique instance of Jewish welware provision in the ‘East End’

  •  of course there were others, but this was the only maternity hospital and following the demolition of the London Jewish Hospital (Stepney Green) is now the only surviving former Jewish hospital in the East End

REFUTE THE ENGLISH HERITAGE STATEMENT THAT THE FORMER HOSPITAL ‘has negligible architectural interest

  • just because they were not sufficiently grand to be listed by English Heritage does not mean that they have little or no architectural interest. The four buildings on Underwood Road constitute a unique and attractive group of buildings, especially the two ‘cottages’. (see second open letter to Owen Whalley 12 October).

AGREE TO PEABODY’S PROPOSALS TO COMMEMORATE THE SITE’S HISTORY

  • but point out that this would not be a substitute for at least retaining and converting the two ‘cottages’ as part of the scarce built evidence of the Jewish East End and of the fact that the East End is renowned as a historic point of arrival for migrants from all over the world.

REFUTE ANY POSSIBLE CLAIM THAT PEABODY HAS GOT TO DEMOLISH ALL THE BUILDINGS BECAUSE THEIR APPLICATION FOR PRIOR NOTICE OF DEMOLITION HAS BEEN APPROVED BY THE PLANNERS

  • Peabody could still demolish the other buildings but leave the two ‘cottages’ for conversion, and alter their plans and planning application accordingly.

Between now and 7 November, please sign and encourage others to sign the online petition and write to Peabody’s Chief Executive (see Campaign Newsletter No. 3).

TOM RIDGE

25 October 201

October 25th, 2011

Posted In: Jewish Maternity Hospital, Uncategorized

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , ,

Leave a Comment

Former Jewish Maternity Hospital – Update 22 October

The former Jewish Maternity Hospital in Underwood Road, known affectionately as “Mother Levy’s”, was the only Jewish maternity hospital in England. Built in stages between 1911 and 1927 thanks mainly to the fund-raising efforts of Alice Model MBE, the former hospital includes four separate buildings on Underwood Road. Attractive, but not sufficiently grand to be listed by English Heritage, they and the utilitarian buildings at the back are to be torn down by Peabody Housing for a five-storey block of 33 flats for rent, shared ownership and sale on the open market.

 

This gross act of cultural vandalism was sanctioned by Tower Hamlets Council planning officers on 18 October. Peabody got this totally non-democratic but legal seal of approval by applying for what is called ‘prior notice of demolition’. It allows them to hold a so-called public consultation meeting in early November, demolish all the buildings and then submit a planning application for their proposed block of flats on the cleared site. With your readers’ help, I intend to go on fighting to save the two small ‘cottages’ at 22 & 24 Underwood Road. Each is practically ready made as a large family house and would represent the only Jewish maternity hospital in England and serve as a memorial to Alice Model MBE and all the people born there between 1911 and ca. 1940.

 

So far, my online petition to Peabody (www.residents-first.co.uk) has been signed by about 250 people, including Sir Arnold Wesker (born JMH 1932) and Tower Hamlets Councillors Stephanie Eaton, Alibor Choudhury, Joshua Peck, Rachael Saunders, Gloria Thienel and Amy Whitelock.

 

As well as signing the petition, please write to Peabody’s Chief Executive (stephen.howlett@peabody.org.uk), asking him to at least spare the ‘cottages’ and convert them to family houses for rent, shared ownership or sale. Send a copy to Tower Hamlets Head of Planning (owen.whalley@towerhamlets.gov.uk) and a copy to me (east.end.waterway.group@gmail.com). Letters already sent include letters from the Director of Jewish Heritage UK, the Chairs of the East London History Society and the Jewish East End Celebration Society, Tower Hamlets Cllr. Bill Turner, and the Secretary of SAVE Britain’s Heritage.

 

Tower Hamlets is fortunate to have the listed 1913 Jewish old people’s home in Mile End Road (now Albert Stern House) and the listed 1903 Soup Kitchen for the Jewish Poor in Brune Street, Spitalfields. Surely, we can at least keep the 1911 ‘cottage’ at 24 Underwood Road and the 1927 ‘cottage’ at 22 Underwood Road, as part of the scarce built evidence of the Jewish East End and of the fact that the East End is renowned as a historic point of arrival for migrants from all over the world.

 

Tom Ridge

22 October

October 23rd, 2011

Posted In: Uncategorized

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , ,

Leave a Comment

CAMPAIGN NEWSLETTER NO. 2

 

UPDATE 18th OCTOBER

PEABODY REJECTS COMPROMISE PROPOSAL FOR RETENTION AND CONVERSION OF PART OF FORMER JEWISH MATERNITY HOSPITAL

Possibly as a result of my second Open Letter to Owen Whalley (Tower Hamlets Head of Planning), the Council’s EnvironmentAL Impact Assessment Officer has considered whether or not Peabody’s proposed demolition requires an EIA.

 

According to EIA regulations, the demolition site must be in excess of half a hectare and contain one or more nationally listed buildings. The site at 22-28 Underwood Road fails on both counts, so the Council cannot require Peabody to carry out an EIA.

22 & 24 Underwood Road

 

It is more than likely that by 19 October this EIA ‘screening opinion’ will be issued with the Council’s approval of Peabody’s proposed demolition of all the buildings at 22-28 Underwood Road.

 

This will allow Peabody to go ahead with a totally non-democratic process including a so-called second public consultation in early November, quickly followed by the actual demolition of all the buildings and the submission of their planning application for the proposed redevelopment of the cleared site.

All the more reason to go on demanding that they keep and convert the two ‘cottages’ at 22 & 24 Underwood Road as part of the residential redevelopment – in line with the Council’s own 2008 planning statement (see Campaign Newsletter 11 October 2011) and growing public opinion:

  • Please write to Owen Whalley (owen.whalley@towerhamlets.gov.uk) asking him and his colleagues to at least recognise the historic importance of the two ‘cottages’ and do all that they can to persuade Peabody that the two ‘cottages’ should not be demolished and that their conversion to residential use should be included in Peabody’s forthcoming planning application. (Please send us a copy.)
  • Please write to Stephen Howlett (stephen.howlett@peabody.org.uk) in support of Dr Sharman Kadish’s suggestion to keep and convert the two ‘cottages’, see Campaign Newsletter 11 October 2011. (Please send us a copy.)
  • Please sign and encourage others to sign our online petition, see Campaign Newsletter 11 October 2011.
  • Please attend and demand the retention and conversion of 22 & 24 Underwood Road at Peabody’s early November public consultation at the Osmani Centre, Underwood Road.

Although the two small ‘cottages’ are not nationally or locally listed they are unique and distinctive buildings and would represent the only surviving former Jewish maternity hospital in England and the pioneering achievements of Alice Model MBE.

 

The first Jewish maternity hospital, also in the East End, was established in the 17th or 18th century in Mile End Road as a lying-in hospital and hospital for poor Sephardic Jewish women. It changed into a home for the aged and infirm and it was for this purpose only that the sole surviving building was built 1912-13. Listed Grade 2 in 2010, this building was not a ‘hospital and alms houses for Sephardic Jews’ as stated incorrectly by English Heritage in its letter of 23 April 2010.

 

The London Jewish Hospital in Stepney Green was demolished in the 1980s. The former Jewish maternity hospital is therefore also the only surviving former Jewish hospital in East London.

 

Tower Hamlets is fortunate to have the listed former Jewish old people’s home in Mile End Road (now Albert Stern House) and the former Jewish soup kitchen in Spitalfields. We must therefore keep at least two small buildings from the former Jewish maternity hospital as an essential part of the built evidence of the Jewish East End.

 

TOM RIDGE (0208 981 7361)

October 21st, 2011

Posted In: Uncategorized

Tags: , , , , , , ,

Leave a Comment

The re-designation of the Limehouse Cut Conservation Area goes to the LBTH Cabinet this evening at 17.30.

It is the second item on the agenda so should be heard early in the proceedings. It would be good if people could spare the time to come to the meeting to show support in the Committee Room, 1st Floor, Town Hall, Mulberry Place at 17.30.

You can read the recommendations from officers below. Not totally ideal as 83 Barchester Street is missing from the List of Locally Listed Buildings. Quite possibly after comments from the owner found in the summary of comments here.

Leaside Regeneration and Harca made a lot of comments to protect their interests in regeneration. Poplar Harca subsequently withdrew their objections to the designation of the Conservation Area Following revision of the Conservation Area Character Appraisal (PDF) and Management Guidelines by officers.

Click image to enlarge

Full report details here (PDF) Full meeting details on LBTH website here

Cabinet is recommended to:-

2.1  Note the decision of the Judicial Review in the High Court, which whilst quashing  the original designation accepted that designation of the area as a Conservation  Area might be appropriate.

2.2 Note the responses to the public consultation considering the proposed  designation and the supporting Limehouse Cut Conservation Area Character  Appraisal and Management Guidelines.

2.3 Agree the Designation Statement at appendix C which sets out the special  character of the area. 2.4 Agree the designation of the Limehouse Cut Conservation Area, with boundaries  as indicated in the map at appendix A, including the transfer of land to include  Violet Road Bridge and a section of canal and landscaping to the front of Caspian  Wharf from the Langdon Park Conservation Area to the new Limehouse Cut  Conservation Area. [This land already has conservation area status, thus the status of this land remains unchanged, and the alterations are a prudent  rationalisation of boundaries because the canal and this small area of land are  more logically located within the Limehouse Cut Conservation Area].

2.5 Agree the amended boundaries to the Langdon Park Conservation Area to reflect  the suggested rationalization in paragraph

2.4. The revised boundaries of the  Langdon Park Conservation Area are shown in appendix B.

2.6 Agree the addition of the following buildings identified during the public  consultation to the List of Locally Listed Buildings within the Limehouse Cut  Conservation Area, Dowgate Wharf (22-23) Gillender Street, 24 Gillender Street,  Towpath House on Dod Street; Printers Gate on Dod Street; The Sail Loft on Dod  Street; and The Spice Store on Dod Street .

2.7 Adopt the attached draft Conservation Area Character Appraisal and Management  Plan at Appendix D which supports the proposed designation, setting out the  character of the Limehouse Cut, identifying those buildings which are to be Locally  Listed and putting forward proposals for the preservation and enhancement of the  Conservation Area.

August 3rd, 2011

Posted In: East End Waterway Group, Uncategorized

Leave a Comment

 

NEWS FLASH 12 July 2011

 

As part of the Borough’s consultation on its LOCAL DEVELOPMENT FRAMEWORK, there is a Fish Island Area Action Plan, which has to be commented on by 15 July 2011. This newsflash therefore includes Tom Ridge’s latest submssion on behalf of the group. Please read. It would also help if you would please add weight by sending in your supporting comments to ldf@towerhamlets.gov.uk.

 

Fish Island is the only place in the Borough’s LDF where the buildings which contribute to its particular sense of place have been identified. It is all the more tragic therefore that four of those buildings have been demolished.

 

Click image to download full PDF

Download Action Plan here

FISH ISLAND AREA ACTION PLAN – SUBMISSION ON BEHALF OF EAST END WATERWAY GROUP

DEMOLITION OF BUILDINGS OF TOWNSCAPE MERIT


Four of the buildings shown but not labelled on Fig 6.1 Heritage assets (also shown and labelled in the Fish Island CA character appraisal and management guidelines document November 2009) have been demolished:

  • three buildings between CA and Hackney Cut by Formans for their proposed Olympic Hospitality Venue.
  • Lea Tavern White Post Lane for six-storey building with ground-floor restaurant (PA/10/01728) permission granted 26 January 2011

Of the three buildings demolished by Formans, the single-storey, twin-roofed building is seen on the left of the photograph of the front cover of the action plan. It could have been retained and incorporated in the proposed venue. It is clear from the file that the planning officer dealing with the case simply accepted the fact that the buildings had been demolished and showed no awareness of the fact that they were of “townscape merit” (CA doc Nov 2009).

The demolition of the Lea Tavern is particularly tragic as it had a long history of being identified as worthy of retention. Its inclusion in the CA doc. November 2009 was simply the most recent, but in many ways the most important as it was a key building in the proposed WHITE POST LANE CA:

This proposed CA must be designated as soon as possible and in the meantime PLANNING OFFICERS MUST BE MADE AWARE OF THE PROPOSAL AND THE FEW SURVIVING BUILDINGS OF TOWNSCAPE MERIT. Most of which are now covered in grafitti.

 

PUBLIC REALM IMPROVEMENTS

 

In this connection, it is to be hoped that the public realm improvements at G respect the surviving walls of the distillery where petrol was first produced in this country. And at F, they respect the surviving remnants of historic walls in the boundary walls of the Hamlet Industrial Centre on the NW corner of Hertford Union Canal and the Hackney Cut.

F includes the ROACH ROAD BRIDGE which is a superb example of a poorly designed fort bridge with ugly gabions. It is particularly tragic that British Waterways have taken a steer from this bridge and also employed gabions in its new ramp from White Post Lane to the Hertford Union Canal towpath.

Clearly, we need to know more about these “public realm improvements”, especially the ones listed on page 64 and along Dace Road/Old Ford Lock (C). The “artistic gateway” to the locks actually detracts from the character and charm of this special space. It is to be hoped that there is no more public art, nor indeed any more bridges. There is already a perfectly good, plain honest footbridge over the locks and another over the River Lea to the River Lea towpath.

 

CONNECTING FISH ISLAND

Fig 2.2 Click image for larger version

 

On Fig 2.2 the latter place is one of five places with “scope for new crossings” over waterways. Most are not needed and the considerable expenditure involved would not be justified:

 

OPTIONS 3, 4a and 4b completely ignore the fact that LB Tower Hamlets built the WANSBECK ROAD BRIDGE in the 1970s, following the severance of this north-east corner of the borough by the East Cross Route. It is a very good connection over the Hertford Union Canal and has not even been shown on the various figures in the action plan – possibly as a consequence of having the western boundary drawn along its route.

 

Option 5 “new all-modes bridge on Rothbury Road” is in fact the excellent WHITE POST LANE BRIDGE of 1904-05 linking White Post Lane with Carpenter’s Road. It appears to be currently undergoing renovation.

 

OPTION 7a Contractors are already on site. It is going to be far too close on the eastern side to the middle of the three crane ramps (which have been sympathetically retained within the British Waterways’ towpath enhancement). And looks as if it will be far too close to the retained circular red-brick chimney shaft.

 

OPTION /B and vehicular part of OPTION 19 A second and wider bridge at this location would be the ruination of this part of Fish Island. Fully support FISH ISLAND EAST as a residential area with a new school but it will have a more than adequate vehicular link with the borough via the refurbished White Post Lane Bridge and the existing WANSBECK ROAD BRIDGE.

 

OPTION 8 Not needed especially given its proximity to the bridge about to be built at 7a

 

OPTION 9 “Lea crossing at Bow Locks” is in fact Hackney Cut crossing at Old Ford Locks and is not needed for the reasons already given. The foot bridge is narrow and cyclists must be barred from using it. They can and must be made to use the bridge about to be built at 7a.

 

With respect to some of the non-waterway options:

 

OPTION 11 Completely pointless – it is but a short walk or ride to the start of the Greenway on the east side of Wick Lane or to option 12

 

OPTION 12 Fully support this and have done so for some years. Must include more wildflower meadow as on Greenway and seating for contemplation of site of the old ford across the River Lea

 

OPTION 14 This is also a dangerous road for vehicle users.

 

OPTION 15 There is no towpath on the west side of the Lea Navigation (Hackney Cut to Old Ford Locks and River Lea from near Old Ford Locks to boundary at mainline railway embankment. Nor should there be.

 

OPTION 16 Being carried out by British Waterways

 

OPTION 17 Towpath along east side of Lea Navigation (Hackney Cut) has just been upgraded by British Waterways. There is no towpath along the west side of River Lea. Nor should there be.

 

WATERWAYS


We are very disappointed that despite representations re scoping report (8.9.10) there is nothing in the action plan about passenger movement on the waterways. Nor about a marina/water activity centre in Fish Island East

 

WASTE TO ENERGY FACILITY


We are completely opposed to the proposed WASTE TO ENERGY FACILITY anywhere in FISH ISLAND or TOWER HAMLETS. Especially as there is no information whatsoever about the proposed facility.

 

Tom Ridge on behalf of East End Waterway Group

12 July 2011

 

July 13th, 2011

Posted In: East End Waterway Group, Uncategorized

Leave a Comment

Listening

Share bid launched off starting blocks

Last week, the East London Community Land Trust launched a major membership drive. In just under a week over a hundred East Enders bought a share in East Londons most exciting community controlled developer, and many hundreds more look set to join, as trusted, local East London institutions pledged their support with the membership drive.

Over the next week local business leaders will be joining the land trust. “We believe that business supports the extension of affordable housing. We’re going to be asking local business leaders to show their support,” said land trust member, Nick Durie. “If we sustain this momentum, with your application for membership, and with your help in forwarding this email, we are certain to reach our target of 1000 new members in time for our AGM!”

East London Comunity Land Trust are bidding to buy the St Clement’s hospital site, in Mile End, so we believe now, more than ever, is a great time to join the land trust. We may soon be building homes in this community.
With the AGM coming up, in order to ensure your membership is processed in time to participate, we advise you to join before the 8th of August.

Why are people joining the East London Community Land Trust?

What our members say…
“Affordability is a big issue for us as it is for many in the Capital and I support this move to provide it. I have lived in the East End for 12 years and have been an active member of the local community around St Paul’s Shadwell.”

“I have grown up in various parts of the East End and since childhood noticed the difficulties people have in attaining decent accommodation.”

“I am a local resident living in cramped conditions due to the high cost of housing in Bow. I do not want to leave the area as my children (aged 11 and 14) love attending their school at Central Foundation Girls School, which is opposite St Clements Hospital. I want St Clements hospital to become a genuinely mixed community and to help support the building become an exemplar affordable, sustainable award-winning housing complex.”

“I am a strong supporter of the Community Land Trust model as being an effective and workable model for ensuring housing is available to everyone, no matter if they are on social rent, can afford to buy, or are in private rental housing. It offers the chance to build communities together, without leaving large sections of society behind (I think this counts for both those on low incomes, but also those on middle incomes who are not eligiable for tradtional models of help, but earn nowhere near enough to afford to buy, and who just get ripped off by private landlords)”

Membership is open to all East Enders. It costs just £1 to join, but members can stand for election, get a chance to move into a land trust home, and take part in the democratic stewardship of land. Members will receive a welcome pack, and share certificate, and will be posted regular updates through our newsletter, The St Clement’s Rider. Isn’t it time you joined?

 

July 12th, 2011

Posted In: Uncategorized

Leave a Comment

 

Homes for who

News from Tower Hamlets Tenants Federation

Tower Hamlets landlords were challenged at a conference on Saturday (9-7-11) to stop the rot, protect tenancies, rents and benefits, and build council and housing association homes for rent.

Over fifty tenants from thirty estates at the Tower Hamlets Tenants Federation conference heard that only one in five of new homes in the borough is really affordable and for rent.

Councillor Rabina Khan of Tower Hamlets Council, and Joan Murphy of Poplar HARCA (on behalf of the Tower Hamlets Housing Forum of the Borough’s 67 Registered Providers) were questioned on the loss of secure, genuinely affordable homes, new rents up to 80% of market rents, how housing benefit cuts will hit tenants, leaseholder charges, and whether tenants voices were really heard.

Joan Murphy said Poplar HARCA will charge 70% market rents for new one-beds, and slightly less for bigger new homes. They will also charge up to 80% market rents on a proportion of re-lets of existing homes. HARCA will maintain life-time assured tenancies even on these high-rent homes, she said. (more…)

July 11th, 2011

Posted In: Core Strategy, LBTH Cuts, Uncategorized

Tags:

Leave a Comment

« Previous PageNext Page »